Jul 14, 2024  
2024-2025 Academic Catalog 
2024-2025 Academic Catalog

Financial Management

Financial Management

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.  

Financial Management

Office of Financial Aid

Investing in a quality private university education is a worthwhile undertaking. To meet university costs, most students may need to look beyond their own financial resources for assistance. The Office of Financial Aid fulfills this need by providing assistance to students pursuing a degree at Rivier University.

Financial Aid Guidelines and Application Process

The primary responsibility for financing a college education lies with the student and the family (if the student is deemed dependent). All students must annually file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to receive consideration for Federal financial aid. The purpose of the FAFSA is to determine the financial need of a student and to confirm eligibility to participate in student aid programs. The information provided in the FAFSA is calculated using a uniform federal needs-analysis formula developed by Congress. The results are released to Rivier University and used by the Office of Financial Aid to create the offer. A financial aid offer will vary according to a student’s need and the availability of funds. Financial aid is offered for one academic year at a time; students must reapply annually to receive consideration in subsequent years.

The FAFSA can be completed and submitted electronically via the Internet at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa.

First-time financial aid filers are urged to complete the FAFSA as soon as possible. It is available October 1st for the following academic year. The priority filing deadline for university funding is March 1. On-time financial aid applicants are given full consideration for assistance. Availability of funds cannot be guaranteed for late applicants; therefore, late applicants will be considered on a funds-available basis. The FAFSA can be filed at the same time that a student applies for admission. However, financial aid is not offered until the student has been accepted into a degree or eligible certificate program.

A financial aid offer consists of gift aid and/or self-help assistance. Scholarships and grants are considered gift aid. Student loans and campus employment are forms of self-help aid. In order to assist as many students as possible with Rivier’s limited university grant and scholarship resources, the Office of Financial Aid must provide maximum self-help funding as the foundation of each financial aid offer. You can contact the Office of Financial Aid at (603) 897-8488 or at finaid@rivier.edu.

Graduate Financial Aid

Financial aid for graduate programs consists almost entirely of long-term unsubsidized Direct Stafford loans which are payable over ten or more years. Graduate students are automatically considered “independent” by federal guidelines which means that parental information is not required when the student applies for financial aid (although parents can certainly assist graduate students if they desire). Because need-based grants are not available and because parents are not expected to contribute, the calculated “need” of graduate students is often quite high. As a result, the Direct Loan borrowing limits are higher than for undergraduates: up to $20,500 per academic year. If additional money is needed, the Direct PLUS Loan is an option for graduate students who have additional room in their budget for borrowing. When borrowing, please keep in mind that these are loans that will need to be repaid upon cessation of attendance. You can estimate what your monthly payments will be by going to www.finaid.org/calculators and clicking on the Loan Calculator.

If you are working while attending graduate school, employers will often help offset educational costs if the courses or program is relevant to the work. You should consult your employer to see if tuition benefits are available. (However, be aware that such benefits may be taxable.)


Financial aid recipients must be:

  • Eligible to participate in financial aid programs
  • Matriculated into a degree program
  • Enrolled at least half-time (Pell-eligible and TEACH Grant-eligible students may be eligible for aid if less than half-time).  Undergraduate full time is 12 or more credits, three-quarter time is 9-11 credits and half-time is 6-8 credits. Graduate full time is 9 or more credits, 5-8 is considered half-time. If a graduate student is enrolled for less than five credit hours, they are not eligible to receive financial aid. Doctoral students’ eligibility varies depending on their program - please go here for more information - https://www.rivier.edu/financial-aid/aid-eligibility/
  • Students enrolled in a program of study are not eligible for classes outside of their program.
  • Making satisfactory academic progress as outlined in the University catalog.

Federal regulations specify that federal financial aid recipients must be U.S. citizens, or eligible non-citizens (U.S. permanent residents who have an alien registration card / permanent resident card).

Financial Need

A student’s financial need is the cost of attendance minus the Student Aid Index (SAI). Students may not receive financial aid in excess of their cost of attendance. The Office of Financial Aid fully acknowledges that due to limited resources, it may not be able to fully meet a student’s need, but will provide assistance in determining alternative financing programs.


A student’s financial aid application may be selected for review in a process called verification. Students chosen for verification will be asked to submit additional documentation to the Office of Financial Aid. These documents will be used to either confirm or correct information submitted by the student on the FAFSA. Since a student’s financial aid eligibility is based on information provided on the FAFSA, any changes in that data may affect a student’s financial aid offer. For this reason, aid offers will not be finalized until verification has been completed.

Financial Aid Offer Revisions

Revisions to a student’s financial aid offer are sometimes required. If a student’s financial aid offer is adjusted, he or she will receive a revised offer letter. The most common reasons for an award change are listed below:

  • Enrollment change (student has modified originally planned enrollment pattern; for instance, a student drops a class or classes).
  • Change from resident to commuter or vice versa
  • Updated information provided by the student that results in an SAI change.
  • Student is receiving assistance from a source other than Rivier University.

Undergraduate Satisfactory Academic Progress

Satisfactory academic progress is measured qualitatively, by review of the Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA); quantitatively, by review of the rate of progress - the percentage of credits earned vs. attempted; and overall against a maximum time frame of 150% of the program length, measured in attempted credits. Full-time undergraduate students must complete their program within six years (see table below for minimum completion requirements). The academic credit for semesters is earned with a passing grade (D or better). Satisfactory progress is defined as a minimum of a 2.000 CGPA and a rate of progress of at least 67%.

Credits Successfully Completed


Minimum Number













Part-time undergraduates must complete their program in a proportional amount of time.  To successfully complete a program, the student must achieve 100% of the program credits within 150% of the program length, as defined by attempted credits.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Status Review

At the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) checkpoint, a student who is not meeting the SAP requirements for the first time will be placed on a “Financial Aid Warning” and should meet with their Financial Aid Counselor. Students on “Financial Aid Warning” who do not meet SAP requirements for the subsequent semester will lose financial aid eligibility. To regain aid eligibility after this point, the student must appeal in accordance with the policy described below. Students whose appeals are granted will be placed on “Financial Aid Probation” for the next semester. If students do not meet SAP after the “Financial Aid Probation” period, all federal eligibility will be lost.​

Graduate/Doctoral Students

All students are evaluated for satisfactory academic progress (SAP) at the end of each payment period (semester). The academic credit for semesters is earned with a passing grade (C or better). Satisfactory progress is defined as a minimum of a 3.000 CGPA and a rate of progress of at least 67%.

Veteran Students

All students receiving VA educational benefits are required to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress according to published standards established and enforced by the University. Rivier University’s Standards of Academic Progress have been approved by the State Approving Agency (SAA) and accepted by VA.

U.S. Code, Title 38, Sections 1674 and 1724, requires that educational assistance benefits to veterans and other eligible persons be discontinued when the student ceases to make satisfactory progress toward completion of their training objective. Accordingly, Rivier University will discontinue certification of enrollment and inform the VA of a termination (due to unsatisfactory academic progress) for students who remain on academic probation for more than two consecutive semesters. This may result in the student being overpaid. Students have a right to appeal terminations. The VA determines whether or not payment will be terminated and the conditions for reinstatement.

Appeal Process

A student who loses aid eligibility due to failure to maintain satisfactory academic progress may appeal this status. To do so, the student must submit a “Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal” form and a “Satisfactory Academic Progress Plan Student Contract” within fourteen (14) calendar days of receiving the notice of financial aid termination. This appeal should be addressed to the Director of Financial Aid in Adrienne Hall. The appeal must be accompanied by documentation of the situation, events or circumstances that prevented the student from obtaining satisfactory academic progress or otherwise explains the student’s deficient performance.

Generally, only extraordinary circumstances are considered, such as the severe illness of the student or an immediate family member. The student will usually be sent the Director’s written decision within ten (10) days of the school’s receipt of the appeal. The decision of the Director or her designee will be final. If the appeal is granted, a student previously receiving financial aid will regain financial aid eligibility on an Academic Plan status. The student must regain SAP status by the time projected in the Academic Plan, but no later than the maximum time frame of the program. The student’s appeal must address the following:

  1. The basis for the appeal - a description of the special circumstance AND
  2. The reason why the student failed to meet the SAP standard(s) AND
  3. What has changed in the student’s situation so that he or she will now be able to meet with SAP standards. 

Appeals are granted on a case by case basis.

Academic Plans

A student whose appeal is granted will be required to meet the terms of the Academic Plan as outlined in the notice granting the appeal. Students need to meet with their Academic & Career Advisor to create their academic plan. Generally, the Academic Plan will require students to meet or exceed the attendance requirements, pass all courses with a “C” or better and may include additional required elements, such as tutoring. At the end of each semester, the student’s progress will be reviewed based on the Academic Plan. A student who fails to maintain the terms of the academic plan will be terminated from financial aid eligibility.  


Grades of “I” (Incomplete), “F” (Failing), “NF” (Administrative Failure), “VF” (Violation Failure), and “W” (Withdrawn) are not considered to be completed credits, but do count as attempted credits. I (Incomplete) grades are temporary and if not satisfactorily resolved by the deadline set between the Registrar’s Office and the professor become “F” (Failing) grades. Transfer credits are included as both credits earned and credits attempted. “P” (Passing) grades count as credits earned and attempted, but have no value for CGPA. Course repetitions count as attempted credits, but students can earn credit only once. When a course is repeated, the later grade will replace the first grade in calculating the CGPA.


Students who are enrolled at Rivier University and withdraw before completion of 60 percent of the current term receive only a portion of their federal and/or institutional assistance to meet their college costs. Students who withdraw from the University must give notice, in writing, to the University Registrar, Academic Advisor and/or the Office of Financial Aid.

Summer Aid

Students wishing to receive financial aid for the summer sessions should contact the Office of Financial Aid in April for instructions and eligibility conditions.

Types of Financial Aid

For information on types of Student Financial Aid, please refer to our website at https://www.rivier.edu/financial-aid/types-of-aid/

Tuition, Fees, Refunds and Payment

Tuition and fees for the current academic year are published annually and are refundable according to the stated withdrawal policy. There is a tuition differential between full-time undergraduate, part-time day and part-time evening study, graduate, graduate nursing, and graduate nursing clinical, and the various doctoral programs.

Full-time DAY students carrying 12-18 credits are charged the same full-time rate regardless of the program of study. An overload charge will be assessed for every credit over 18 credits in a semester.  Professional Studies students enrolled in a combination of day and evening courses for 12 or more credits will be charged the full-time day rate. Students can view their semester charges/ credits, and make payments, on their Colleague Self-Service Rivier Account. Parents and guardians can make payments and/or sign up for a payment plan via the payment portal on the Rivier University Touchnet Site.

Required Deposits

A tuition deposit due by May 1 is required of first time students: $500 for Undergraduate students; $100 for Graduate students.

A housing deposit due by March 1 for returning resident students: $250.00.

Students accepted by April 1 should forward deposit(s) by May 1. Students accepted after April 1 should forward deposit(s) within three weeks of their acceptance. The tuition and room deposits are refundable until May 1.

Tuition and Fees Academic Year 2024-2025

Please click here for our tuition and fees - https://www.rivier.edu/financial-aid/tuition-fees/.

Student ID Card Purchases (Discretionary Funds) called Raider Bucks

Student may use their ID Card to purchase products or to pay for available services including bookstore, library café, library copies, and fees. They may add dollars and manage their balance via https://it.rivier.edu/information-technology/university-onecard/

Note: The University reserves the right to change any of the above charges when, in the judgment of the administration, it becomes necessary to do so.

Course Add/Drop Refund and Withdrawal Policy

If after registering for courses students are unable to, or choose not to attend Rivier University, they must officially withdraw from their course(s). Students need to contact the Office of the Registrar to officially drop/withdraw from their course(s) by the refund/withdraw date and are encouraged to meet with their Academic Advisor, Success Coach and/or Financial Aid Counselor to discuss the consequence before doing so. Students are responsible for the entire charge up to the date they officially withdraw from the course. Official drop dates can be found on the Financial Aid page at https://www.rivier.edu/financial-aid/student-resources/withdrawal-refund-policy/.

Withdrawals after the Drop period (last day for 100% refund) will result in the student being liable for all or part of their charges.

Room/Board Refund Policy

Room refunds are calculated based on the date the resident withdrawal form is completed with the Office of Residence Life & Housing. There is no refund on meal plans after the add/drop period has ended.

Payment Policy

It is the student’s responsibility to verify the amount of their semester charges on Colleague Self-Service Rivier Account upon being registered for courses and to be aware of the payment due dates and course Add/Drop Refund and Withdrawal dates. Students are able to print their statement from their self-service portal. Late fees will be assessed after the payment due date and a finance charge of 1.5% per month will be assessed on the unpaid balance.

Payment Due Date

The payment due dates (or acceptable payment plan in place) are:

  • All students:
    • Fall: August 13th
    • Spring: December 9th
    • Summer: April 23rd

If a student registers after the payment due date, payment is due on the date of registration. If the student is partially registered or is planning a registration change, payment for the existing registration must still be made by the posted deadlines.

An acceptable payment plan may include financial aid, third party and deferred payment plans. Students must complete all requirements and submit required paperwork and electronic signatures by the payment due date to the Office of Financial Aid for their financial aid to be shown as an estimated credit on their bill.

Payment Options

Students can view the charges/credits and print a statement at Colleague Self-Service Rivier Account. Parents and guardians can make payments and/or sign up for a payment plan via the payment portal on the Rivier University Touchnet Site.

Payment options include direct payments, financial aid and deferred payment plans. All payment information can be found at rivier.edu/financial-aid/. Payment types include cash, check, and credit card. Credit/debit card payments will be charged a convenience fee by our credit card processor at the time of payment. Checks can be mailed to Attn: Student Accounts Office, Rivier University, 420 South Main St., Nashua, NH 03060.

Housing: Room and Board Policy

Room and Board must be paid along with tuition and fees by the posted payment deadlines in order for students to be eligible to check-in to the University’s dormitories. Board may not be waived for any student. If the student chooses to withdraw from housing, they must contact the Office of Residence Life & Housing and fill out the necessary forms for the withdrawal to be valid. Room refunds will be calculated according to the date the withdrawal form is received by the Office of Residence Life & Housing, not by the last date of residency. If a student withdraws from housing or is terminated, the meal plan is canceled. 

Returned/Insufficient Funds Check Policy (Protested Check)

Whenever any payment is returned to Rivier University, a $30 fee for the insufficient funds will be posted to the student account.

Non-Payment Policy

Students whose accounts are not paid in full by the payment due date will be placed on hold and will not be eligible to register for future courses or receive official transcripts or diplomas. Students owing for the current or previous semesters may be subject to any or all of the following actions:

  • Deregistration from courses (roster spots in the original registration cannot be guaranteed upon re-registration)
  • Late payment penalty ($250 for day students; $100 for all other populations)
  • Deactivation of campus identification card which suspends access to campus facilities and library, city bus services, etc.
  • Residence hall dismissal
  • Suspension of meal plan
  • Suspension of participation with athletic teams
  • Unpaid account balance sent to collection agency

Outstanding account balances may be sent to an outside collection agency. Should this occur, credit bureaus will be notified and the student will be responsible for the outstanding balance plus all collection fees and legal fees. At this point the student will no longer be able to make payment directly to Rivier University; they will be required to interact directly with the collection agency. All grades, transcripts, and diplomas will be withheld until the student has satisfied their student account balance in-full and all funds have cleared.


Due to the nature of certain laboratory courses and other skill courses, some courses cannot be taken on an audit basis. Lecture courses may be audited. The audit fee is the same as the credit charge except for Rivier University alumni and senior citizens. Students wishing to audit courses may register for courses one week prior to the start of the semester, on a space available basis. Contact Academic & Career Advising for more information. (For more information see Audit Policy.)

Rivier University Alumni

Alumni holding a bachelor’s and/or master’s degree from Rivier University are granted the privilege of auditing undergraduate courses at no tuition cost on a space-available basis. All applicable fees will apply. To register, please contact the Office of the Registrar.

Senior Citizens

Persons 60 years of age or older may audit Undergraduate Day classes on a space-available basis, paying fees only; there is no tuition charge. Senior citizens wishing to take courses for credit pay half the tuition charge plus fees. For persons 55 years or older, the University sponsors the Rivier Institute for Senior Education (RISE) in partnership with the Elder hostel Institute Network. Classes offer instruction on a variety of topics, meet during the day in five- or ten-week sessions, and offer no traditional college tests or credits.

 Veterans and their Dependents Tuition and Payment Information

Upon acceptance to Rivier, you will work with both the VA School Certifying Official and a Student Accounts Representative to determine your eligibility and payment options.  Your GI Bill® eligibility is based on when you served your country and other requirements determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Administration. Learn more about your eligibility for military benefits through the VA, including information on Post-9/11 GI Bill®, Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (MGIB-AD), Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR), Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP), Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment.

If you plan to use financial aid with your VA Benefit, a Rivier Student Accounts representative will help arrange your financial aid and finalize your paperwork. Students using the Post-9/11 GI Bill® at less than 100 percent eligibility will be responsible for the percentage not covered by the VA.

Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018 Compliance

Under Title 38 US Code 3679 (e), with respect to any students using VA Education Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®) or Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA, Rivier University will not:

  • Prevent the student’s enrollment.
  • Assess a late penalty fee to the student.
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding.
  • Deny the student’s access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee payments to the institution.

To qualify for this provision, such students may be required by the school to:

  • Produce the VA’s Certificate of Eligibility or eBenefits entitlement summary by the first day of class.
  • Provide a written request to be certified.
  • Provide any additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other Rivier’s policies.

However, Rivier University reserves the right to require additional payment or impose a late fee for the amount of tuition or fees due, which is the difference between the amount of the covered individual’s financial obligation and the amount of the VA education benefit disbursement.

  • Once our VA School Certifying Official has reviewed your VA documentation, your academic advisor can assist in your course enrollment.
  • Yellow Ribbon Program: Veterans who are receiving 100% in tuition benefits may be eligible for funding under the Yellow Ribbon Program, if the veteran has met the maximum allowance determined annually by the VA.
  • Visit Financial Aid for information on tuition and fees, refund policy, and other financial information.
  • Principles of Excellence (Shopping Sheet template): Students will receive a personalized Shopping Sheet upon admission or after applying for financial aid.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.