Sep 26, 2023
The Division of Arts and Sciences is pleased to offer to all undergraduates with any recently-earned bachelor’s degree from Rivier University the ability to complete their Rivier University Master of Science degree in Computer Science (CS) in just one year through the Rivier’s Combined 4 + 1 BS/MS or BA/MS program. The 4 + 1 program is designed for students completing a Minor in Computer Science or a BA in Mathematics or a BS in Cybersecurity Management, but can be customized for students in a variety of majors.
This 4 + 1 MS program provides a seamless transition from an undergraduate program to the MS in Computer Science degree allowing students to learn and apply technical skills sought after in today’s highly competitive, global marketplace, particularly in the areas of software engineering, code programming, code testing, database system design and maintenance, multimedia, computer security, data analytics, and others. Students must take the four specialized prerequisite courses at the undergraduate level to apply for admission into the 4 + 1 program.
- Undergraduate applicants must meet the admissions requirements as set forth in both the Rivier University Undergraduate Catalog and the Graduate Studies Catalog.
- Applicants must complete a BA or BS degree prior to entering the fifth-year MS in Computer Science program.
- Applicants shall have earned a cumulative GPA of at 3.0 by the completion of the senior year in the university.
- Each applicant will be interviewed by the Mathematics and Computer Science Department Coordinator or designee to determine competencies of the candidate for the five-year program.
- The following information will accompany the degree application form:
- A current Rivier’s undergraduate transcript
- A statement of purpose (international students only)
- One letter of recommendation
- Candidate performance will be reviewed prior to her/his entry into the fifth-year studies (MS courses) upon completion of the undergraduate degree.
Bachelor degree requirements (Years 1-4) (minimum 120 credits)
As part of their bachelor’s degree program, students applying for the Combined 4+1 MS in Computer Science program must complete the following:
- MA130 Functions or higher-level Math course (may be used to fulfill the general education requirement)
- MA310 Discrete Mathematics (the student must complete this course with a “B” or better grade)
- CS301 Computer Science Fundamentals (student must complete this course with a “B” or better grade)
- CS335 Introduction to Database Management (or approved substitution) (the student must complete this course with a “B” or better grade).
Graduate major requirements
Graduate Core Courses (21 credits)
- CS 552 - Object-Oriented Design Credits: 3
- CS 553 - Networking Technologies Credits: 3
- CS 554 - Operating Systems Credits: 3
- CS 556 - Computer Architecture Credits: 3
- CS 557 - Algorithms Credits: 3
- CS 585 - Practical Java Programming Credits: 3
- CS 699 - Professional Seminar Credits: 3
Graduate Computer Science Electives (9 credits)
Select three of the following:
- CS 572 - Computer Security
- CS 597 - Multimedia and Web Development
- CS 608 - Software Engineering
- CS 612 - Information Technology
- CS 616 - Data Mining
- CS 664 - Knowledge-Based Systems
- CS 680 - Software Quality Assurance
- CS 698 - Professional Internship
- CS 690-696 - Topics in Computer Science
Combined Degree Requirements (minimum 150 credits)
- Minimum 120 Undergraduate credits
- 30 Graduate credits