Apr 01, 2023  
2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog 
2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Life and Services

Student Life and Services 

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.


The Student Community

The University makes every effort to maintain the highest standards of conduct and to promote among its constituents the spirit of loyalty to the University and its commitments. True to its aims and ideals, Rivier University endeavors to uphold moral and scholastic standards.

All members of the Rivier community share the responsibility to insure conditions conducive to the stated missions, processes, and function of the University. The University has the duty to develop policies and procedures that provide and safeguard its daily activities and to develop them within the context of general standards and with the broadest possible participation of the members of the University community.

University administrators welcome dialogue on current issues and on University policies. They ask only that students respect established channels of communication. The Student Government Association is the primary channel through which full-time students’ views and opinions reach University officials. For additional information regarding SGA, consult the Student Handbook.

For students in the evening programs, the primary channel of communication is through a member of the Academic Affairs staff or through a member of the Student Affairs staff.

These processes of positive student involvement in campus life are viewed as integral to the educational experience.

Rivier University is a Roman Catholic co-ed institution, founded by the Sisters of the Presentation of Mary. The University trusts that all students enroll voluntarily with the knowledge and understanding of Rivier’s mission. Commitment of self-discipline and mutual respect towards one another are expected of all members of the University community and are essential elements of a Christian-principled, Christian-centered environment. University rules and regulations are means towards that end.

Sanctions are not considered the primary means of developing responsible student conduct. Example, established policies, procedures and communication are believed to be more effective agents for encouraging mature and responsible student behavior. When these fail, however, the University must assert its disciplinary authority. It is the responsibility of the Vice President for Student Affairs (or designee) to enforce all social regulations and to impose appropriate penalties for misconduct when necessary.


At Rivier, both first-year and transfer students are introduced to university life during a formal orientation program. The program is an opportunity for students to begin building strong relationships with faculty, staff, and peers. Orientation assists students in succeeding academically and understanding the University culture. Rivier recognizes that students have individual needs and tailors special information sessions for students who are commuters, transfer students, and/or resident students. In order to gain a thorough understanding of the curriculum and services, all students are expected to attend the orientation program.

Student Activities

The regular program of co-curricular activities includes social, cultural, spiritual, professional and intellectual development opportunities. On-campus concerts, symposia, and lectures enhance academic life and provides a well-rounded as well as balanced co-curricular education. An organized and varied program of social activities provides frequent opportunities to meet other students. Many campus activities and programs are sponsored by the Student Government Association and planned by student-run clubs and organizations.

International Students

International students from around the world  are encouraged to apply. International students who wish to study with F-1 student status must be accepted to a Rivier degree program and have submitted all required regulatory documents under U.S. federal law before an immigration form I-20 is issued. Those requirements can be found in the catalog or on-line under International Admission/Application Process. All international students in either the day or professional studies evening program, must be admitted to Rivier University as full-time students and must maintain legal Fl student status for the duration of their study at Rivier University. The Director of International Student Services serves as the International Student Advisor in the Office of Global Engagement. She provides all assistance to international students after acceptance for admission. The advisor assists the students from admissions  inquiry until the international students obtain their F-1 student visa abroad or with their change of non-immigrant to F1 status in the United States of America. The International Student Advisor advises  international students with matters such as immigration regulations issues pertaining to F1 status, pre-arrival assistance, housing, social security numbers, personal issues, driver’s licenses, cultural adjustment, employment, and advising on re-entry. A comprehensive orientation is offered to all new international students. The orientation provides an introduction of student services on campus, workshops that help them navigate the US classroom and  also help them maintain their legal non-immigrant status in the United States of America.

Multicultural Affairs Office

The Multicultural Affairs Office’s purpose is to focus on activities that enhance the climate for diversity within the University and promote awareness and appreciation of cultural/ethnic differences without losing sight of our common humanity. Through culturally and socially enriching programs and activities, the Multicultural Affairs Office prepares the Rivier community to respond to our culturally diverse society with sensitivity, insight, and skill. The Office encourages the students to take an active role in identifying programs that meet the needs of our diverse campus, enhancing the education of the whole student.

The Multicultural Affairs Office focuses on accomplishing three major goals within the academic year:

  • Provide minority student support and advocacy;
  • Educate the Rivier community on diversity issues;
  • Collaborate with the local community, fostering relationships to help achieve the aforementioned goals.

The Multicultural Affairs Office continues to develop and strengthen partnerships with local and statewide agencies, as well as identify which organizations promote cultural awareness.

In response to the increasing numbers of ethnic minority students approximately 70 percent of all programs that were presented by the Multicultural Affairs Office focused on the cultural, educational, and community-oriented needs of Rivier University and surrounding communities.

Campus Ministry

Campus Ministry, located in the Dion Center, serves the spiritual, social, and personal needs of the campus community, providing opportunities where values are challenged and faith is affirmed. Rooted in the Roman Catholic mission of the university, Campus Ministry is concerned with faith formation, service, spiritual and personal growth, peace and social justice, and leadership development. Persons of all nationalities and faiths are welcome to participate in various religious and service opportunities.

Faith Formation: Opportunities for faith sharing and ongoing formation are offered by Campus Ministry.

Service: Campus Ministry promotes the principles of Catholic Social Teaching by providing opportunities for direct service to others as well as advocacy for the poor and marginalized.

Spiritual and Personal Growth: Retreat and prayer opportunities for personal and spiritual growth are offered. Campus Ministry celebrates life, helps reflect on its rhythm, highlights holy days, ritualizes key moments of transition, and celebrates Eucharist. Preparation for the Sacraments of Initiation is available for those who are interested in becoming members of the Catholic Church.

Peace and Social Justice: Through workshops, discussions, and fundraising, Campus Ministry aims to raise an awareness of the needs of the global community and to discern appropriate response to these needs.

Leadership Development: Campus Ministry offers opportunities for servant leadership; leadership based on the belief that we are called to serve and not be served. These opportunities include roles at liturgies and prayer experiences, oversight of various volunteer projects, and program development and implementation.

Counseling and Wellness Services


Advising services begin when an Admissions Counselor interviews prospective students and assists them in interpreting the University program in terms of their interests and previous achievements. Rivier University also offers a comprehensive guidance program to assist students in academic, personal, and vocational areas. Limited service continues to be available to alumni.

Mental Health Counseling

The services of a mental health counselor are available to all full-time day students (12 or more credits). These services are designed to assist students in maximizing their collegiate experiences; the emphasis is on promoting wellness and enabling students to safeguard their own well-being. Services include short-term individual counseling, group counseling, workshops on personal growth issues, and referrals to appropriate off-campus agencies.


Information shared in a counseling session is confidential and will not be disclosed to any outside party without the student’s prior written permission. There are exceptions to the student’s right to confidentiality: The University has a legal and ethical obligation to protect the student  if it believes the student is  likely to harm him/herself or others. The University is legally obligated to report to the appropriate authorities if it believes the student is physically or sexually abusing a child or vulnerable adult.

Alcohol and Drug Prevention (MSB)

My Student Body is an on-line course aimed at education and prevention. Through readings, exercises and on-line assessment, students will explore their perceptions and misperceptions about alcoholism and drug abuse. In addition, students will identify their own risk factors for substance abuse. This is a required class for all traditional age full-time freshmen. MSB, in addition to the Alcohol/Drug course, also provides students with education and information on Tobacco, Nutrition and Stress.

Sr. Mary Anne Quibin Student Health Services

Guild Hall, 1st floor, 897-8295
A major component of health promotion begins with educating students so they may develop a healthy lifestyle unique to their personal needs, schedules, and interests. Part of the mission of Quibin Student Health Services is to provide health-related information to students on topics such as: nutrition, exercise, illness prevention, and stress management/relaxation.

Quibin Students Health Services is open Monday-Friday during the academic year. Hours are posted weekly. The clinic is staffed by nurse practitioners that diagnose and treat common illnesses and assist students with management of chronic illnesses. Other services available at the clinic include: physical examinations, first aid assistance, and laboratory services. Students are referred to local physicians, medical specialists, dentists and hospitals as needed. Two local hospitals and a walk-in medical clinic are available to students for after-hours medical care. If a student has difficulty obtaining transportation to after-hours medical care, they are encouraged to contact the Public Safety Department on campus.

All resident students and non-resident commuter students registered at least half-time must submit evidence of immunization against tetanus (preferably Tdap), and measles, mumps and rubella (MMR). In addition, a Meningitis vaccine is suggested for commuters and required for residents. Resident students must also provide a health history, physical exam, and consent to treat documentation and patient’s bill of rights form as required by the State of New Hampshire. All required medical forms are posted on the Health Services web page. 

Athletes must provide copies of all the required health documents to Quibin Student Health Services as well as the athletic department. All nursing students must provide copies of all required health records to both the nursing department and to Quibin Student Health Services.

Student Health Insurance

Rivier University requires all full-time undergraduate students to have some form of health insurance. Several options exist:

  • Stay on Parent’s Plan - Full-time students may be eligible to remain on their parent’s plan. Since parents are handling the bills, staying on the parent’s plan could be easier but this option could also be more expensive than other coverage options.
  • Student Health Plan -These plans are for full-time students typically between 17-29 years old. The major advantage with this plan is that the coverage will allow the student to travel throughout the US.  However, it may require the student to pay a premium in a single lump-sum amount and it is not available in every state.
  • Individual and Family Plans - Students can purchase an individual and family health plan on the “exchange” (subsidized coverage through the Affordable Care Act). Individual and family health insurance is a type of health insurance coverage that is made available to individuals and families and offers a range of coverage benefits depending on the plan selected.

Student Health Records

All health records and health-related information are held in strict confidence. No information may be released unless the student signs a release of information form. Quibin Student Health Services is required to report the incidence of certain communicable diseases to the New Hampshire Department of Public Health. However, individual patient names are not included in this reporting.

Career Development

The Career Development Center provides career advising to students beginning freshman year and beyond to help them make the most of their Rivier experience and to prepare them for their future career. Programs, workshops, and individual career advising sessions are offered to assist students in the career decision-making process, as well as in internship and job search strategies such as resume writing and interviewing skills. Print and online resources provide information on target industries and occupations, potential employers, job search techniques, and general career planning. An annual job fair sponsored by the New Hampshire College and University Council (NHCUC) of which Rivier University is a member, is held during the spring semester. Students are strongly encouraged to take advantage of this annual event. The Career Development Center is located in the Learning Commons. Visit our website at www.riviier.edu/cdland.aspx or contact us: (603) 897-8345 or cdc@rivier.edu

Muldoon Health and Fitness Center (HFC)

The Physical Education and Athletics program at Rivier University has three components: Basic Instruction Physical Activity classes, Recreational Activities, and Intercollegiate Athletics. Physical activity classes, recreation activities, and intramurals in the gym, fitness room, and at the athletic fields are open to all students, faculty, and staff. There is no fee for students, faculty, and staff, but a Rivier University ID card must be presented to use the HFC.

Rivier University is a member of the NCAA Division III, the ECAC, and the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC). Universities in Division III place highest priority on the overall quality of the educational experience and on the successful completion of all students’ academic programs. The University seeks to establish and maintain an environment in which a student-athlete’s athletic activities are conducted as an integral part of the educational experience in an environment that values cultural diversity and gender equity among athletes and athletic staff. Full-time bachelor’s degree students are eligible to participate in intercollegiate athletics. Women compete in Soccer, Field Hockey, Cross Country, Volleyball, Basketball, Softball and Lacrosse. Men compete in Soccer, Cross Country, Volleyball, Basketball, Baseball and Lacrosse.

Information about any program is available at the HFC.

Residential Life

Any interested, full-time undergraduate or graduate student is eligible to live on campus. First-year students and transfers live in double, or triple rooms in residence  halls. Each hall has lounges, kitchenettes, and recreation areas. Student rooms have telephone and cable TV with wireless connection available throughout the campus. Also available as housing options for students is a suite-style residence hall for returning undergraduate and graduate students as well as a substance-free living environment for students who prefer that lifestyle choice.

The Residence Life staff includes undergraduate and graduate resident assistants, full-time resident directors for each building, and a Director of Student Life/Housing Services who coordinates the residence life program. All staff members live on campus in each of the residence halls. The staff are responsible for helping students adjust to and maintain life outside the classroom while living on campus.

Students can take advantage of a number of social and educational opportunities as well as leadership positions when living at Rivier, and each student is encouraged to become an active member of the residence hall community by participating in programs and activities. Living in University residence halls is a privilege and not a right guaranteed by enrollment at Rivier University. Accordingly, the University may decide not to offer a residence hall agreement to a student when in its sole discretion it would not be in the best interest of the University to do so. The University shall not be obligated to provide students with reasons for such decisions.

ID Cards

Prior to the beginning of classes all new students must obtain a valid University ID, issued by the Department of Public Safety and Security Office, located at the Dion Center, main floor. An ID can be obtained from 9:00 A.M. to 7:30 P.M. from Monday to Thursday and 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. on Friday during the school year.

  • ID cards are required for checking materials out of Regina Library, admittance to computer labs, admission to all University events on campus as well as to social/cultural functions or sporting attractions in Boston and surrounding areas.
  • Some ID cards can be used as an electronic door key for access to the residence halls.
  • ID cards can also be used for printing services and some vending machines on campus.
  • ID cards are also useful to students for obtaining meal discounts at the Library Café and in the dining hall. In order to use the ID cards at the Café and dining hall appropriate arrangements must be made at the Business Office, located in Adrienne Hall.
  • Lost or stolen ID cards should be reported to the Department of Public Safety and Security Office immediately; replacements will be issued and a replacement charge will be assessed if deemed appropriate.
  • Falsifying or in any way altering an ID card is considered a serious infraction of University policy

University Bookstore

The bookstore is your one-stop destination for Rivier merchandise, school supplies, residence hall supplies, graduation gear and of course textbooks. Shop for anything in our store online 24/7 at www.Riviershop.com. The website also has updated bookstore news and store hours. Acceptable forms of payment in store are cash, credit cards, checks, campus cards (not flexcash), gift cards and financial aid in the store and online we accept credit cards, campus cards, and gift cards.

Student Parking

All students must obtain a parking permit for their vehicle(s) in order to park on campus. Vehicles that are borrowed or rented must also be registered by obtaining a temporary parking permit. Failure to comply with current published guidelines may result with the issuance of a parking citation and/or the loss of the privilege to park a vehicle on campus. Parking permits expire each year on August 31st. Parking permits are available from the Public Safety Office or the Director of Public Safety’s Office located in the Dion Center on the main floor.